These boxes appeal to the 5 senses: sight, hearing, taste, touch, and smell.
Whenever you are feeling down about something you can go to your self-soothing box and mindfully pick up each thing that appeals to each sense. Being mindful about these objects can help get your mind off of the pain you may be feeling, and help you focus your attention on what the object looks, tastes, smells, sounds, or feels like.
Being mindful is a step that is very helpful in regulating your emotions. Mindfulness is throwing your whole self into the situation that you are experiencing in a nonjudgmental way. You must focus your attention to the one thing you are doing and get rid of all thoughts about the past or future: stay focused on the present moment that you are in. Do not let your mind wander, this is an important factor when using mindfulness.
When you are mindful with your self-soothing box it really helps to calm you down and make you feel better.
Creating Your Very Own Self-Soothing Box
1. First off, you'll need a box. Anything will do: a shoebox, an old cardboard box, you can even make your own box if you have the supplies. I even went all out and created an entire room dedicated to self-soothing. If you have the resources to do so, I highly recommend doing it.
2. Decorate your box in your favorite colors and using some of your favorite pictures and stickers. Keep the decorations positive and uplifting! This will also play a part in the visual sense you are appealing to.
3. Gather objects that appeal to your senses. Some examples would be:
- Sight: pictures of your favorite memories or animals, some scenes that you think are beautiful, happy pictures that you've drawn, pictures that motivate you.
- Hearing: a harmonica, a music box, a child's toy that makes music, an old iPod or music device filled with nothing but peaceful music.
- Touch: your favorite stuffed animal, or a small one bought at the dollar store, some cool textured yarn or some sandpaper
- Taste: your favorite hard candy, some flavored lip gloss
- Smell: scented candles, perfumes, lotions, reed diffusers, even scented deodorants
4. Put all the objects you gathered into your box and whenever you need it, pull it out and use it! You'll be surprised by how much it really helps.